A Little History
In the Beginning . . .
The practice of veterinary medicine has been conducted continuously at our location since the late 1800's when a mother/son team treated animals in the barn located on the property. In the 1930's Dr. Henry Recht opened the first animal care clinic to the public. In 1948 Doctors Helen and Henry Doremus purchased the practice. The staff expanded in 1955 with the arrival of Dr. Jean T. Wilson, Sr. and again in 1958 when Dr. Stanley Witzel joined the practice. Drs. Wilson and Witzel purchased the practice in 1960, and it became Cedar Grove Animal Hospital. In 1995 Dr. Jean T. Wilson, Jr. became an owner with his father when Dr. Witzel retired.
And then . . .
We are proud of both our professional and non-professional "alumni". Various Associate Veterinarians have graced our practice and gone on to operate hospitals in New Jersey, New York, Vermont, Colorado and Oregon. At least nine former employees have become veterinarians. Still others have gone on to higher education and work in closely related fields.
And now . . .
Dr. Wilson, Jr. has been treating all types of companion animals for over 35 years. He leads our team in the commitments of our
- Mission Statement to provide top quality health care for pets and uphold the Veterinarian Oath to prove worthy of the trust bestowed upon us by our clients and the colleagues who proceeded us.
- Vision Statement to provide consistent excellent pet care and counsel in a fair and honest manner, and foster the improvement of veterinary care and compassion.
- Core Values to treat our clients and patients in an honest, courteous manner; our patients with quality medical care and humane handling; to limit/relieve suffering to the best of our ability; and to promote the human/animal bond.